Firewall Changes that might affect you

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Firewall Changes that might affect you

Post  sparticvs on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:27 pm

(Sticky, Trei, if you would)

Hello Again...

I just modified my firewall settings a bit so that I can still have my security and you can still play. I didn't do a lot of testing on this, I just don't have the time. Instead you are going to be my testers. Let me know immediately if you are having any issues connecting to the server and I will roll back to the old rules. The initial connection will be a little lagged, but after that you shouldn't experience any issues.

-- Technical Mumbo-jumbo for those that care --
I wasn't checking the state of TCP connections, so no matter it's state I would automatically be checking the IP. I call this "paranoid blacklisting". However this really slows everything down. Now I changed the rules to check for only new TCP connections. That means if the firewall has seen the connection start, then it will ignore the packet from then on.
-- End of Technical junk --

This won't be the last change for this, so hopefully it will get much better and much more efficient as I will be making more changes in the future.

~ Sparticvs

sparticvs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hard to log in

Post  B_rank on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 am

yeah i found that it takes a while to log in, but after a while it logs in fine. no reall lag in game.

B_rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Firewall Changes that might affect you

Post  Treijim on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:08 am

i cant stay connected for more than a few seconds before the server stops responding to me. also i havent seen anyone on in about two days. whatever you did, doesnt seem to be working lol
Treijim
Admin

View user profile http://distantlands.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  _XxCommanderxX_ on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:49 am

I can get on, but it disconnects after a while
_XxCommanderxX_

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sparticvs on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17 pm

I removed the rules and it still took a while to download terrain, so I am concluding that it isn't the master host. Watching the CPU, the VM is still using the most at 15-30% (Max usage is 800%). I am gonna toss this one into Panda's court.

=== Edit ===
After doing a network dump, there is a LOT of network activity. I will have to work on different rules. I have to run to work now, but as soon as I get there I will push the new rules which should stop majority of the network activity I shouldn't be seeing.

sparticvs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top